I feel very blessed today. Giorgio and I have good friends who care a lot about us. Two such friends funded a second opinion for Giorgio with a renowned, board certified cardiologist at The Bobst Hospital of the Animal Medical Center of NY
At first we thought we might try and see Chihuahua Rosemary’s cardiologist at the 5th Ave. Veterinary Specialists on 15th Street, but, I decided against that option because they are just too far away from where I live, and, when there’s an emergency with Giorgio, it would be a lengthy trek getting him there.
Then we considered NYC Veterinary Specialists on West 55th Street. When I called there, however, I learned that their cardiologist is in Florida! That wouldn’t do us much good. I wanted a face-to-face second opinion.
So we decided to call on Dr. Phillip Fox DVM, MS, ACVIM, ACVECC, at the AMC/NY.
I was reluctant, nervous about returning to the AMC so soon after the trauma of being there with Gilbert Kitty. I had to put my qualms aside for Giorgio’s sake. We were fortunate to get a call back from Dr. Fox immediately today and he took us in this afternoon.
By the time we arrived for our appointment, our vet’s at Rivergate Veterinary Clinic had already faxed Giorgio’s records (thank you Nina). Dr. Fox (and two residents who were learning from him) reviewed the tests and reports carefully and he didn’t push us into repeating the echo-cardiogram, but, it was apparent that the only way to get a true second opinion as to the mass reported in last week’s echo, was to give Dr. Fox an opportunity to view the heart himself.
Giorgio was a real trouper and the team said he cooperated beautifully. Dr. Fox said he looked and looked and he just did NOT see any mass in Giorgio’s heart. His opinion was that IF there was a mass, it was a blood clot and has already dissolved. He also felt that Gio’s heart didn’t appear any worse than the report from three months ago.
This is all wonderful news. I now know, and feel confident, how to proceed for the next three months until Gio’s next echo is done. We’ll continue the conservative course of treatment (meaning no Lasix (diuretic) unless and until Gio is in heart failure).
As I’ve mentioned before, health care for our pets is extremely costly, especially when expensive diagnostic tests are essential, as with heart disease. The option of getting a second opinion is a true luxury, a true blessing, and we are so grateful to our friends Ronnie and Peter for funding Giorgio’s care. I really was falling apart at the seems, picturing a blood clot lodged in Giorgio’s septul wall. I have no words that adequately express my gratitude and the peace of mind I have tonight.
Tomorrow, I’ll write about our experiences in the waiting room. We met some interesting people and pets, and, there’s a follow up to Gilbert Kitty as well.